Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Thrift Store Conventions: Tweens Clothing

Love thrifting but having a hard time pushing your teen to the doors? Let me guess, "Thrift store shopping, uh, that's so gross!" Here are a few photos to show your girls what thrift store shopping can do for them. Double click to enlarge photos.

Jeans of every size and make can be found in thrift stores (Levis, Gap, Abercrombie & Fitch, Old Navy) for around $4.99 for womens and less for girls. For more advice on purchasing jeans, please refer to a previous post Easy Jeans! Tops of similar brands can also be found in thrift stores ranging from $2.99 to $4.99. It is not uncommon to find items with tags still dangling from them with retail prices directly contrasted against thrift store prices.

Above,

















Below, this spaghetti strap summer dress by Hype was $4.99 and can be casual or dressy depending upon the shoes.


An ArdenB. dress with slip for $9.99 is reminiscent of the style of this vintage purse bought years ago at a thrift store by Thrifully Modern Mommie. The earrings were $2.99.


















I bought this blouse a few years back for my daughter knowing that it would be quite fetching on her. I do not remember the price but remember it was purchased at the Goodwill for under $5.

Teach your children to be resourceful and thrift. Over the span of their lives they will save tens of thousands of dollars but still own quality merchandise. Money is no guarantee for style.

I think this mates up nicely with "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime." I don't believe mainstream Americans and the media send healthy messages about spending or style.

More trunk show photos will be up soon of The Thrifty Chickets, our elementary school girls. Scroll down to see Ms Shopping Golightly's trunk show.

18 comments:

Apron Thrift Girl said...

stunning photos. I love teaching children the value of the thrift dollar. I do have to explain the lesson often due to my daughter's desire to own every stuff animal for sale at the toy store. How can you pay $15.00 for one when she could buy the same for .50 cents at a yard sale?

Karla said...

Wonderful photos (and outfits)! Good for you for teaching your children the value of thrift stores. That's how I was raised, and I'm eternally grateful. I'm a richer person on a few levels. One of them is that with the money I've saved by living a thrifty lifestyle, I've traveled all around the world... Your daughter's lucky to have that influence.

Elizabeth B said...

Your daughter is lovely and looks wonderful in her smashing thrifted outfits. You go, girl!

Anna Hardin said...

Georgeous!!!!!!!

sewingchick said...

I love the photo shoots! What a fantastic idea, plus I bet you had a blast doing it :)

Bobbi Jo said...

Great post and your daughter is beautiful.I am especially fond of the dresses. Hugs, Bobbi Jo

Holly said...

Great stuff! I have found some nice clothing at Goodwill too, but you seem to have a knack for it. Your daughter is so pretty...love the gray dress and shoes.
I have certainly brought my kids to the thrift store on more than one occasion. My younger ones don't mind, but my oldest calls Goodwill "Bad Won't", something he started when he was about 6. He just hates shopping in general.
Thanks for visiting my blog! I have a thrift store post every Thursday.

Saver Queen said...

Wow, your daughter is so beautiful! She looks like Natalie Portman! Excellent photographs and great dresses - I especially like the flowery spaghetti strap dress and that cute grey one - it's so original looking. Does it take a lot of hunting to find these cute clothes?

Lisa B. said...

I think boys are easier than girls. There was three of us girls that my mother was constantly trying to get us to be comfortable with thrift store and garage sale shopping.

My two boys, they are all for it... no problems at all.

Alan said...

Once again, awesome photos! There is much wisdom in the second to last paragraph.

Anonymous said...

Yesterday, thrifting I found, for my skinny teen:

Ambercrombie shirt
Aeropostale sweater

Both pronounced 'cute' when my teenager got home from school.

Oh. And their cost: $3 for both.

Jora

Anonymous said...

Great photos! All it takes is getting a pair of namebrand designer jeans for the kids and you'll have'em hooked. Just to let everyone know...there is a huge Grand Opening in Pueblo at the New Horizons Thrift Store. I was there today (May 16th). Lots of good deals and give-aways. There website is www.newhorizonsthriftstores.com

Jennifer said...

Lovely...both your clothes and your daughter's. Kudos on so successfully passing your values down to your daughter!

Sonya-Dime Store Thrift said...

I love this...LOVE THIS, Amy! I hope that others see this and realize the bounty that is there in recycling.
Blessings, Sonya

ROLLERWRITER said...

Cute stuff! On a weekend to be spent with my teenage nieces we started with a contest-I gave them each $10 and we hit a few thrift shops. At the end of the day, a fashion show and prize for the winner. Next weekend was a sewing lesson using patterns from 30 years ago when I was a teenager and my mother sewed for me. They get to raid my fabric stash. We also include lessons in turning old t shirts into tote bags or quilts and remaking jewelry. They love watching the money go farther, not dressing like everyone else and even getting offers of hiring them to make something for one of their classmates.

Frugal Vogue said...

Wow! Such great photos... My daughter is just learning to appreciate thrift stores. She's 14 and is beginning to realize that she can get more bang for her buck at a thrift. I let her know she's welcome to buy one outfit at the mall or a whole wardrobe for the same price at thrifts. She caught on really fast.

Bliss said...

How wonderful!

The trunk shows are so nice. And how lovely to see the young Chicks model their beautiful, cool, rocking, and inexpensive new gear!

Though 90% of my 12 year old daughter's wardrobe is thrifted, she hates going with me to shop.

She says I stay too long and the store makes her hands too dry. lol

But I guess I know what she means. I was in Sunday and when I left three (3) hours later, my eyes and throat WERE a little dusty...

Awwww well, small price to pay for the cool stuff I snagged.

Tomorrow when I take grandma (Yes, a likely excuse but true. lol) I'll leave my saline solution and a bottle of water in the car. :)

Fashion Suit said...

what a lovely photos! i think your a nice and religious gal.. how old are you?