Thursday, July 21, 2011

Start by publicly blowing raspberries

Mainstream American consumers are cultivated purchase items en masse. We even purchase “bargains” en masse. Lost in the world of retail sales, shoppers forget they will not be using the item they acquire 75% off original price. It becomes a pointless act of acquisition and often begets suffering, especially in the realm of debt. Retail therapy might have a short-term rush, particularly when a sale is involved, but in the long haul its consumer hooey.

Thrift store gurus have taken a giant a step closer to contentment. Enlightened shoppers do not purchase bargains. They purchase needs and honest wants at prices that work to their personal best interest. This is nearly spiritual and I see this only in thrift stores where there are no studies conducted to boost sales via types music, scents, product display placement, etc. Most thrift participants will stop and do a once over on the contents of their carts before check out. A few items will likely go back to the shelves.

A thrift guru develops a knowing of how often an item pops up in stores. I contently pass on purchasing the cashmere sweater with original retail tags of $200 still dangling for $4.99 if I am on the fence. No regrets. Cashmere sweaters cycle through thrift stores like water through a wheel.

Yes, we all fall from time to time.

Best to tend to needs and take the time to learn wants, not be told what they are. Our current culture has done a splendid job of making dictated and trendy wants take priority over needs. Now most Americans are in terrible economic, mental and physical states of existence. Don't even get me started on what this is doing to the health of our planet. Think about it.

Wow, this post is becoming very lose and stream of consciousness. Okay, must be a reason.

Want to tend to needs first? Start by, pledging to disregard commercials and glossy advertisements. Marketers no longer bother selling products. Be assured, they’re selling wants. Create the want and the product will follow. I predict there will be commercials for commercials. Wait. Who am I fooling? That’s probably already happened. Yes, we’re that messed up.

I’d be so honored if just ten readers would stand in front of an advertisement in a subway station, on the sidewalk, anywhere in public and spend five seconds blowing raspberries at it. Please report in via comments at what and where you blew that raspberry.

Would you join in a pledge to cover your ears and blow raspberries at commercials? It’d be a great family tactic. Add humor. Blow off some steam. Get a better check on reality. Raspberries are good for us.

I sound very immature by asking this. Am I? Sometimes silly ridiculous actions are required to break silly, ridiculous binds.

14 comments:

Maeve's Momma said...

I would be happy to blow a raspberry, I'll let you know where when I do it. And we have no commericals now that we ditched cable for Netflix streaming and seasons of shows on dvd. Yay for less gimmes in our house!

Shopping Golightly said...

Oh thank you Maeve's Momma! For a while I thought I'd possibly cracked. There's always comfort in knowing you're not alone.

Viking Translations said...

I still think you should grab the nice cashmere sweaters and put them up for sale in your own shop. They would sell like hot buns during fall and winter :-)

I have been know to even buy the ones with moth holes - they are usually dirt cheap. After a round in the washing machine (yes, really), they become the most luxurious lining for my cat's basket.

Shopping Golightly said...

Nostalgic,

The shop! My is that s lot of work setting up! Finding the time is a challenge.

Oh moth eaten cashmere does have a purpose. Again I have my regrets on not being quick with the sewing machine. Washed and cut into squares, wouldn't that be a sweet quilt?

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Without realizing I do it, my rolling-of-eyes and mumbling "whatever" at TV ads has rubbed off on my 5 and 7 yr old! LOL My little guy regular says "whatever" to commercials and my girl says "that's not really true, is it Mom?"

Shopping Golightly said...

Beth,

Yup! Children will always know more than we give credit.

Their untainted minds catch many cultural paradoxes.

Anonymous said...

I also suggest blowing raspberries (even if it's just in your head) at your friends' new toys. (And how they brag about it on Facebook!) To be fair to retail (we can be fair to them sometimes, can't we?) I bought two needed items drastically marked down at the mall this weekend.

Beth said...

For my daughter and me, thrifting provides a fun, incredibly low cost way to get household and fashion items we need. We also, however, routinely buy wonderful things we could easily get by without. I'm not hostile to retail, I've just learned to bypass it whenever possible and enjoy the adventure.

detektei said...

I am very happy to hear about raspberries. I found them on a website while I was searching for something else. Well, Your story was equally beautiful and moving and congrats to you for surviving.

Laurie said...

Well, I may not be able to join in literally, but otherwise I'm in. I ditched TV 15 years ago, and live in the woods. But I kind of feel like living this life IS blowing raspberries, you know?

Shelley said...

Sort of like this:

http://shelleyshouse.blogspot.com/2011/07/photo-shopping.html

or this:

http://shelleyshouse.blogspot.com/2011/07/more-around-claremont.html

I have two rules: if I didn't know I needed/wanted it before I saw it, it's not for me.

Don't call me (trying to sell something); I'll call you (when I decide I need it).

MissPam said...

We had no TV during our daughters' growing up years. They are all four young adults now. They miss a few cultural references (no great loss in my opinion). All have highly honed snake eyes. Makes a momma proud. RASPBERRIES RULE!

NMPatricia said...

You, more than any other blog I read, have taught me to see with a jaundice eye advertisements. You have taught me how Madison Avenue has corrupted my brain and trained it to want and to buy. Thank you. I blow raspberries often.

Shopping Golightly said...

NM Patricia,

Thank you for those kind words. I believe we've always known commercials are hooey. But we've pretty much reached a point where they are insulting.

I'm insulted that commercials are designed to make me feel like I live in a germ-infested pit of a home that stinks, that will never be clean enough not matter how many products I buy.

I'm insulted that commercials try to make me feel less that my hair does not shine and toss about like the hair in Pantene ads.It particularity hurts that my daughter feels personal disappointment that her hair does not shine like that to. It makes her strive for the unattainable. How pointless and shallow is that?

I'm insulted that my honest aging is poo-pooed by Hollywood starlets who have dietitians, in home stylists, personal trainers and plastic surgeons and not the every day stresses that I carry. Somehow I am lesser if I do not look like a starlet my age when I am in the economic trenches with children living month to month.

It insults me that I'm lead to think that a car will change my life for the better when all it will really do is diving me into more debt.

Oy!